Request for Safety Advice

Worker digging

Before you start work

If you are working or operating equipment near powerlines or electricity network equipment, you will need to assess the risk of inadvertent contact with the electricity network. Before work, or if you are wanting to rent/purchase aerial markers, you should submit a Request for Safety Advice and we will assess your request and provide safety services where required to ensure that working near electrical equipment can be done safely.

Persons submitting a Request for Safety Advice to undertake Construction Works must be the responsible person carrying out the work near the Essential Energy network.

Should I submit a Request for Safety Advice?

You need to make a request for safety advice for all work that cannot maintain the safe working clearances set out in the Working Near Overhead Powerlines Code of Practice (found on SafeWork NSW for sites in NSW, or WorkCover QLD – Electrical Safety Office for sites in Queensland) or CEOP8041 – Work Near Essential Energy’s Underground Assets.

Whenever possible, we will need at least two weeks’ notice before work commences.

How do I make a Request for Safety Advice?

To make a Request for Safety Advice, complete our online form.

What happens once I’ve submitted the form?

A member of our team will assess your request and contact you. If more information is required, we will advise a date and time to meet at the nominated site where we will assess and determine necessary safety protocols. Written safety advice will then be issued to the applicant.

Is there a charge for safety services?

There is no charge when making a Request for Safety Advice, however in some cases we will need to provide chargeable safety services in order to for the works to be completed safely. Essential Energy will issue a quotation for the works in accordance with our Price Schedule for Ancillary Network Services.

What are the safety services that may be advised?

The services below may be required standalone or as combinations of services.

De-energising Electrical Assets or Construction Work

Where safe clearances cannot be maintained from the live electricity network de-energisation of the network is required. De-energisation refers to disconnecting part of the network from the live electricity network, ensuring that no electricity can flow. This service can range from basic isolation services to more complex construction services to disassemble and reassemble parts of the network.
Read more about De-energisation and Construction Services

Tiger Tails and Aerial Markers

Powerline markers are visual indicators installed on overhead powerlines to provide constructors improved visual identification of electricity risks and prevent inadvertent contact with powerlines.
Read more about Tiger Tails
Read more about Aerial Markers

High Load Permits and Escorts

High Load Permits are required when driving a vehicle with loads over 4.6 metres to reduce of inadvertent contact with powerlines. In addition to a permit, where clearances may not be achievable an Essential Energy Escort may be required to accompany the load through the network.
Read more about High Load Permits and Escorts

Traffic Control

Traffic Control services may be required when completing construction safety work.

Site Safety Supervision

In some cases, Essential Energy will be required to provide site safety supervision in order to allow unauthorised personnel to perform work near electrical assets.

Order safety collateral

We provide free safety stickers for use in vehicles and machinery – which can serve as a great reminder of what to do if your vehicle contacts powerlines and can also be used to record the height of your machinery in raised and lowered positions.
Order safety collateral