This storm season stay aware, stay safe.
- Remove loose debris, which could become airborne in strong winds
- Trim trees around the house - do not attempt to prune trees in or near powerlines - call us on 132391 or visit essentialenergy.com.au/trees for information
- Unplug your television, computer, modem and other sensitive electrical equipment during a storm and minimise the use of telephones and electrical appliances
- Keep a torch and battery powered radio in an easily accessible place in the event of a power outage
- Keep an eye on the weather by visiting essentialenergy.com.au/stormtracker
Keep an eye out for damage to the electricity network
Damaged or fallen powerlines can be hard to spot. Indicators of potential damage may include:
- flickering or no power supply
- burnt areas in paddocks or roadsides
- injured or downed stock
- smoke or fallen trees.
Call us on 132080 if you see fallen or damaged powerlines.
Always stay at least 8 metres away from the line and anything in contact with it and report the fault immediately.
If your vehicle makes contact with overhead or underground powerlines:
- Stay in your vehicle and call 000 immediately
- If escape is absolutely necessary, jump well clear to avoid contact with the vehicle and ground at the same time
- When you jump land with your feet together. Do not touch the vehicle, fall or allow your feet to step apart
- You must shuffle or jump, with your feet together until you are at least 8 metres clear of the vehicle, powerlines or anything else in contact with them
- Once clear, do not return to the vehicle for any reason
- Call us on 132080
- Remember to never approach a vehicle to assist in an evacuation and always treat powerlines as if they are ‘live’.