If you or someone at your residence has a medical condition and relies on a continuous supply of electricity to run critical medical equipment such as an oxygen concentrator, a kidney dialysis machine or a ventilator, Essential Energy and your retailer need to know.
To register your premises as having life support equipment you will need to provide your retailer with written confirmation from a registered medical practitioner outlining the type of life support equipment that you or a person residing at your premises requires. Your retailer will pass the information on to us. You can provide written confirmation directly to Essential Energy however, we recommend that you also notify your retailer as we will not pass this information on.
The following types of equipment have been classified as Life Support equipment:
- Oxygen concentrators
- Intermittent peritoneal dialysis machines
- Kidney dialysis machines
- Continuous positive airways pressure respirators
- Crigler najjar syndrome phototherapy equipment
- Ventilators for life support
- In relation to particular customers - any other equipment that a registered medical practitioner certifies is required for a person residing at the customer’s premises for life support.
When we receive Life Support confirmation from either you or your electricity retailer, we will:
- Register the premises as having life support equipment.
- Do everything we can to provide a safe and reliable electricity supply. Please note, registering as a life support customer does not guarantee continuous 24 hour power supply to the premises. We may need to interrupt supply for maintenance or upgrade works to ensure the safety and reliability of our network, or your supply may be affected by an unplanned interruption. We recommend you discuss an action plan with your doctor or medical service provider to help you deal with an interruption to your power supply.
- Notify you in writing at least four business days prior to any planned interruption, giving you details of the date, time and duration the interruption is scheduled for.
It’s important to keep your retailer and us informed of your current contact details, or if circumstances change regarding your life support equipment at your home.
If you have further questions about your life support registration please call Essential Energy on 132391.
To apply for the NSW Life Support Rebate, please contact your retailer.
For more Life Support information read our Frequently Asked Questions.