An Electrical Technician Apprenticeship is a four-year program comprising - a combination of formal TAFE training and on the job experience. For training purposes, you may be required to spend periods on rotation to different locations, exploring our footprint and gaining workplace experience.
What do you learn and what qualifications will you gain?
You will have access to the latest training to ensure your skills and knowledge are at the forefront of the industry, completing a Certificate III in Electrotechnology - Electrician, comprising of subjects in Work Health and Safety, Power System Components, Power Distribution and electrical drawing interpretation to provide you with the strongest foundation to power your career.
You will work in a team of highly skilled and qualified Electrical Technicians who are passionate about working to keep the lights on in their local communities. You will gain invaluable on the job training in areas such as plant safety practices, science and materials and operation and maintenance of essential network components, quality supply, metering and electrical inspections. Safety is the number one priority at Essential Energy, and to ensure you are kept safe you will be supervised in every aspect of your work while being mentored and taught safe work practices.
What skills will you acquire?
- quality of electrical supply diagnosis and electrical inspection principles
- knowledge of how to operate the network by switching electrical equipment, maintenance and repair LV/HV equipment
- correct use of power tools (e.g. drills, saws and grinders)
- ability to interpret civil and electrical drawings
- safe use of test equipment
- construction skills such as concreting, rigging and cable installation
- manual skills in using hand tools (spanners etc)
- wiring of lighting, power and control equipment
What are the requirements for eligibility?
To be successful in obtaining an apprenticeship with us, you will need to meet the safety and educational requirements of the role. You will be a team player, enjoy working outdoors and be motivated to learn a trade.
It is a preference that successful applicants hold a drivers licence as you are required to drive to training locations.