To get your power back on after your property has been flooded
Our field crews may disconnect your premises and ensure your power is only restored once it’s safe to do so. They will leave a Field Information Card detailing the following steps:
- Engage a licensed electrical contractor to inspect your premises for safety and compliance.
- When your contractor has completed the inspection, they will log a Certificate of Compliance for Electrical Work (CCEW) with us and leave a copy with you. This will allow us to schedule crews to restore your supply.
- Call Essential Energy on 13 20 80 to have your power restored.
For assistance with engaging a licensed electrical contractor, please call Master Electricians on 1300 889 198 or National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) on 1330 361 099. Master Electricians and NECA are organising for additional licensed electrical contractors to travel to affected areas to carry out safety and compliance inspections.
You will need to pay the electrical contractor for the safety and compliance inspection. We will waive the normal reconnection fee for flood-affected customers.
Level 2 Accredited Service Providers
If your electrical contractor is a Level 2 Accredited Service Provider (ASP), they may be able to restore your power, rather than Essential Energy restoring your power. Please note this will depend on the results of the ASP's safety inspection and any necessary repairs.
If your electrical contractor is NOT a Level 2 ASP, you may choose to employ a Level 2 ASP to reconnect your property once your electrical contractor has inspected and safety certified your property.
A list of Level 2 ASPs is available from the NSW Government Energy Saver website.
Your Level 2 ASP will submit a Notification of Service Work to Essential Energy once your property has had power restored.
You will need to pay the electrical contractor for the safety and compliance inspection and power restoration by the Level 2 ASP. Essential Energy will reimburse the costs for reconnection only (not safety inspections or electrical repairs) up to $350. See below for how to claim your reimbursement.
Alternatively, Essential Energy will directly pay the Level 2 ASP you engage to reconnect your flood-affected premises once they have completed the reconnection.
If you are unable to find a Level 2 ASP following completion of a safety and compliance inspection, please contact us on 13 20 80 to have power restored.
To claim your reimbursement:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following documents:
- Copy of the Certificate of Compliance for Electrical Work (CCEW)
- Itemised invoice from the Level 2 ASP Level 2 for the reconnection process
- Completed New Vendor Information form, to enable us to process your reimbursement.
The Customer Contact Centre will provide you with a Case Number by return email. Please keep this number as your reference.
Once approved, we will process your reimbursement of up to $350 to pay for the Level 2 ASP reconnection fee.
If your home was completely destroyed by the floods and you will be rebuilding:
Essential Energy will contribute $600 toward supporting you to reconnect to our network. You have two years to apply for this contribution.
- Your ASP will need to contact us to submit a New Connection Application on your behalf when you are ready to rebuild
- Select new ‘Rural New Connection’ to ensure we identify you as a flood-affected customer
- Add to the notes on the form that you are a ‘flood-affected customer’.
- Essential Energy will send you or your ASP an Offer to Connect.
- This will also confirm our $600 contribution.
- Accept the Offer to Connect
- To receive your $600 contribution, email email@example.com and provide:
- Paid tax invoice from your Level 2 ASP
- Completed New Vendor Information form, to enable us to process your payment.
Please note, any customers facing financial stress or hardship can contact our Customer Contact centre to discuss what options may be available.
Reconnecting to our network after flooding - Fact sheet
Customer Support Policy – options for customers facing financial stress or hardship
Connecting to Our Network
NSW Government Disaster Customer Care Services